How to use a soaking bag
18 October 2021
Using our heavy duty (1000 gauge) soaking bags
If you follow these instructions, you should be able to use one of our soaking bags time and again. The following items will come in handy;
- Pegs or a cable tie
- A brick or large stone
- Jugs of water
Filling the bag
Carefully slide the willow into the bag. The willow can remain tied together. To allow the willow to lie flat, simply slide the ties up from the butt ends (the bottom of the willow) towards the tips (the top of the willow).
How much willow to add
A 6″ soaking bag will hold a small handful of 5ft willow (around 250 grams)
A 10″ soaking bag will hold up to 2kg of 5ft willow
A large 10″ soaking bag can accommodate 3 – 4kg of 7ft willow
A medium 12″ soaking bag will hold up to 4kg of 5ft willow
A large 12″ soaking bag can accommodate 5 – 6kg of 7ft willow
Next, add water to the soaking bag. Fill the bag where you intend to store/use it. If you try and move a bag filled with water and willow it is likely to puncture or split.
***DO NOT FILL THE BAG COMPLETELY WITH WATER***
How much water to add
A 6″ soaking bag should be filled with around 7 litres of water
A 10″ soaking bag should be filled with approximately 20 litres of water
A large 10″ soaking bag should be filled with around 27 litres of water
A medium 12″ soaking bag should be filled with around 30 litres of water
A large 12″ soaking bag should be filled with around 35 litres of water
- Once the water has been added, press down to flatten the willow and remove some of the air
- Fold over the open end of the bag and secure with a peg or cable tie
Water should not seep out, but a brick or similar item can be used to prop up the end.
- Around half the willow should be submerged in water
- Carefully turn the bag over twice a day
Read our comprehensive guides to soaking times.
Once soaked – Next steps
- Undo the peg / cable tie and gently raise the other end of the bag to allow the water to drain out
- Leave the willow in the bag to mellow (or carefully remove it and wrap in hessian)
- Once the willow had been removed from the bag, let the bag dry out. It can then be used again